Life is full of stress. Even a day off from work might be full of obligations to family, friends, and personal matters like doctor appointments and bills. You face stress at the end of the day when you must decide when or if to set your alarm clock, and your peaceful slumber is interrupted by the very acute stress of the alarm clock going off, or the more general stress of wondering if you slept in too long.
Stress does everything from messing up hormones and creating cravings for unhealthy food to causing depression and weakening your immune system. Coping with stress is possibly the understated secret to success in life and finding happiness. Keep reading to learn 6 relaxation techniques you can use to relieve the stress in your life.
1) Meditate: You don’t have to be a super-flexible guru who drinks green tea or other soothing beverages or dedicate your life to mysticism to meditate. There are many forms of meditation, from walking meditations to sitting in a chair, which you can use to quiet your mind and chill for a little while.
2) Drink green tea: It doesn’t have to be green tea per se, but consider the beverages you drink. Sugary and caffeinated beverages might actually boost your blood pressure. Getting hydrated or consuming something with a calming vibe can sometimes take the edge off a little. If you’re not a regular drinker, just one glass of wine at dinner can take the edge off of your day.
3) Talk to someone: Don’t bottle things up. Just chatting about things can make you feel better in many cases. Whether it’s a friend or a professional therapist, keep human contact regular in your lifestyle. This is especially important for women as it increases their depleted serotonin.
4) Take a walk: Just get some sunlight and fresh air. If possible, get in an actual workout. Robust exercise can really clear the cobwebs of the mind and help you put things in perspective. Workouts are especially helpful for men as it increases their depleted testosterone. This type of exercise is also helpful for 10% of the population whose endorphins increase. A walk with a friend is especially good for women as that increases their serotonin and oxytocin.
5) Take a vacation: If you’re like most Americans, you have unused vacation time. Get a week away in another state, or at least get a three-day weekend out of town. Visit a beach, the mountains, or just any geographic region that looks and feels different then where you are right now. A change in scenery does wonders.
6) Walk away: If a situation is truly frustrating you and you feel powerless to do anything about it, walk away when you can. Many things stressing you out might not be things you can flat out quit, forever, for good, like your job or a toxic relationship, but if you can spare 15 minutes a day, or a week to avoid, do so to give yourself breathing room.
Now that you know these 6 relaxation techniques you can use to relieve stress, you can give yourself a fighting chance at managing things in your mind and heart. You’ll never eliminate all stress, but you can certainly keep it from managing you.